Friday, October 2, 2009

Post #4

As a teacher I would use outlines and concept maps in my classroom if my students seemed to be struggling to organize the thoughts for papers. I like that by using computer programs, such as Inspiration, it minimizes students' ability to copy information from encyclopedias or the Internet. Using concept maps helps students to better understand how to put ideas into a logical order and by incorporating technology it forces them to actually gain the knowledge and not just copy answers.

I would encourage, but not require my students to use outline and concept maps. I would not require it unless the class as a whole demonstrated that they were struggling with organizing the ideas they had for their papers. If that was not the case I would not require my students to use these concepts because I know each student is unique and not everyone learns the same way. I would encourage their use though because outlining is helpful in determining what needs to be in your paper and weeding out what is unnecessary. What made me see how I could apply concept maps to an English class was the table on 128 which broke up short stories into sub-groups.

Learning how to determine what to look for in a website to use for class was probably the most valuable lesson from last week. First off because it helps me pick out good sources to use and secondly, if I know how to determine good websites, I can teach my students how to find reliable sources. Also the lessons on Google short cuts were helpful. I'm not sure how all those tricks will be applicable in the classroom, but things such as looking up definitions instantly have been useful to me already in college. I think I could use the website to check errors for websites I created or wanted to use which I see being most valuable for the former because I am still hesitant in my computer savvy (even though I can tell I am already getting better.)

3 comments:

  1. I liked your idea of encouraging but not requiring students to use outlines and concept maps. I think students would want to learn the concepts more if they did not feel that the teacher was forcing them to learn them. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that learning to determine what to look for in a website was one of the most valuable lessons to learn. I think it is so important as well. Good job :) you brought up some good ideas in your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea of not requiring organizational tools... I think that really depends on what age level the students are. I personally don't believe in giving very young children all that much choice about what to do because they tend to flounder when given too much freedom. However, for high schoolers I would easily agree. Middle School I would require it if only because students of that age, from what I remember, will do the bare minimum. Even if using a organizational tool will help them get a better grade, most will probably take the lower grade.

    ReplyDelete