Monday, August 24, 2009

Blog Journal #0

I've been using a computer since I was six years old. I came up with computers and I cannot remember a time without this technology. That is why it is so grossly embarrassing that I am incompetent with using technology. When I was six I painted pictures using the paint program. As I grew older I used the Neopets virtual website which started to familiarize me with html coding. Interested in this I went on to design websites, but it has since been three or more years since I hanged up my html coding hat. Since then the most computer coding and networking I've had to do has been on MySpace and Facebook (i.e. not much.) The last computer workshop I had was in seventh grade, so needless to say I am in need of a "refresher."

I hope to grasp some sort of computer competency and learn the ability to navigate around a computer well. I'm hoping this class at the very least will improve my tech-savvy, as it is now my fingers may fall on some unintended key and I'll spend fifteen minutes trying to figure out how to un-do the action. Even more ideal would be if this class could make me a computer whiz! I hope I learn how to problem solve (as mentioned above.) Also, I hope to become more knowledgeable in all the programs that will be taught to us.

I learned I fall close to the middle ground of each category, but lean (even ever so slightly) toward active, sensing, visual, and sequential. I learned I am an active learner, which means I do well with hands on activities. In solid lecture style classes my learning style particularly stuggles to focus. I learned I can compensate for lack of activity and discussions in class through my studying. I knew this, but I am also a sensor. I'm patient with details and good at memorizing. I'm more patient, but dislike courses that have noapplication to the real world. Visually I retain the most information because I am skilled at remembering the details of pictures, diagrams, and charts. As a sequential thinker, I learn by following steps that fall in a logical order.

No comments:

Post a Comment